At Oak Cottage Primary School, we offer a curriculum which is broad and balanced and which builds on the knowledge, understanding and skills of all children, whatever their starting points. The curriculum incorporates the statutory requirements of the national curriculum but also takes into account the needs and interests of our pupils, enabling them to grow healthily, safely, academically and responsibly.
- Ensures equality for everyone, providing opportunities for all members of our community to learn, achieve to the best of their abilities, experience success, gain confidence and grow in independence.
- Motivates and extends all children, helping them to develop a full range of knowledge, skills and understanding.
- Enables children to talk about how they learn, to think creatively, to take risks and handle change, so that they can become lifelong learners, able to respond to the opportunities and challenges of the rapidly changing world in which we live.
- Places an emphasis on the development of courteous, co-operative and caring individuals who are sensitive to the needs of others and form and maintain constructive relationships based on respect.
- Includes high quality PSHE so that pupils are able to develop a positive sense of well-being and keep themselves safe and healthy.
- Encourages children to recognise their responsibilities as citizens by providing opportunities for them to play an active part in school life, take care of their environment and develop their understanding of the mutual interdependence of the global community.